Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for an online, distance learning course if I am not currently a graduate student at Rutgers?

First, you first apply to the Graduate School–Newark as a non-degree student in order to register for an Urban Education online, distance learning course.  Applying is easy!  Download the step-by-step application and registration instructions here:



How do I obtain more information about the Urban Systems Joint Ph.D. program?

For any questions about the Urban Systems program, contact Directors:

Dr. Mara Sidney at

Dr. Jamie Lew at


How do I obtain more information about the MAT History program?

For specific question pertaining to the History program, contact Ms. Christina Strasburger

For questions pertaining to the teacher certification portion of the program, please contact Ms. Ivette Rosario at  


How do I obtain a special permission number for a graduate course or an Urban Systems course?

Contact the Department of Urban Education's Administrative Assistant





Department of Urban Education
110 Warren Street, Bradley Hall - 1st Floor, Room 151, Newark, NJ 07102